DREC Committee Meeting Notes – May 7, 2014

DREC Committee Meeting Notes – May 7, 2014

Location: Conference Room

Attendance:

Committee Members: Sibyl Schaefer, Hillel Arnold, Patrick Galligan, Suzie Irving, Mary Ann Quinn, Lucas Buresch, Meg Hogan

Observing RAC Staff member attendees: Carol Radovich, Kristin Spad

Agenda:

  1. Class and Conference Updates
  2. Aeon/ArchivesSpace/osTicket updates
  3. RFOD Update
  4. Ford Electronic records proposal
  5. NDSR Application update
  6. New D-Team employee announcement
  7. Reading assignment discussion
  8. Moving forward – FTK Description

1. Class and Conference Updates (discussion led by Sibyl Schaefer)

Meg Hogan lead off the discussion on the two-day SAA workshop “Arrangement and Description of Electronic Records” at the University of Utah. Overall, she was in support of attendance, saying that it was one of the better DAS workshops. She stated that the program gave an overview of electronic records, reviewed data access and file analyzer programs, and gave hands-on access to tools like BitCurator. She liked that is was more hands-on than other workshops, and didn’t focus too much on the theory. She did think that she felt ahead of the curve as compared to other class members, but she definitely recommended attendance for those able. Sibyl Schaefer and Mary Ann Quinn will be attending another session at the end of June.

 

2. Aeon/ArchivesSpace/osTicket updates

Hillel Arnold started the discussion with a broad outline of the timeline for Aeon implementation. He explained that Christian Dupont will be coming to the RAC on 5/14 to give a presentation on Aeon’s functionality, and then will be coming back right before implementation for full training. Hillel stated that the timeline for full implementation has not been completely set yet, but that he aims to start implementing in the new fiscal year (July 2014). He also said that with the new system, different groups at the RAC will have to think about restructuring processes and workflows in regards to reference, and that there will be various brainstorming sessions leading up to implementation. Meg Hogan asked whether we were going to change all at once or piece-by-piece, and Hillel says that hasn’t been decided yet, but that there will be some overlap when we will have to use ArchivesSpace and ATReference at the same time.

Sibyl Schaefer asked Hillel if he had any updates on osTicket, to which he replied that the rollout on May 5, 2014 had gone well. Hillel stated that people were using the system, and that no one had major complaints, but he also asked for committee members to let others know not to hesitate if they have questions for him.

Patrick Galligan gave a broad overview of the ArchivesSpace rollout. He is currently working with members of different RAC units to identify training topics. He and Sibyl Schaefer are working together to create new documentation for the system that will focus more on required fields and will be less of a step-by-step instruction manual. Staff training will begin in the middle of the week of July 6, 2014, and will end before July 18, 2014. Patrick will be breaking up the training sessions into groups depending upon the function, and there will be hands-on elements to the training. Following the training, the RAC will provide a sandbox instance of the software for staff members to explore. This time period will help people get familiarized with the system and identify any problems they see that were unanticipated by the D Team.

 

3. Rockefeller Foundation Officers Diaries Update

Patrick gave a very brief update on the RFOD materials. Over half of the diarists are now online. Meg and Lucas both asked if there was a timeline for Marshall because it is in high demand with researchers. Patrick and Sibyl agreed that we could move that ingest up the list.

 

4. Ford Electronic Records Proposal

Sibyl led the discussion of the Ford Electronic Records Proposal. She handed out a drat version of the Ford Foundation Digital Records Pilot Project she gave to Jack Meyers.

She briefly spoke about each phase of the project, and that it would require work with Artefactual on designing a website that donors could deposit electronic records for ingest into Archivematica through RAC mediation.

Lucas Buresch suggested that we will have to be wary of paper and digital copies having incorrect or inconsistent page counts due to the way Ford created PDF copies of their Annual Reports. Sibyl asked Lucas to keep track of any instances that he has identified this problem.

Ultimately, the project will take some of the manual work of electronic record ingest and automate it, and the RAC should be able to apply the products to other donors.

 

5. NDSR Application update

Sibyl introduced the committee to the National Digital Stewardship Residency project, and informed the committee that she had applied to have the RAC as a host agency.

The NDSR Project Proposal includes all relevant information for the project.

 

6. New D-Team employee announcement

Sibyl announced to the committee that Laura Montgomery was moving into Eva Grizzard’s old position at the RAC, and as such, the D-Team would be looking to hire someone new to the team. The new position will focus on legacy media projects, electronic records, and electronic record preservation.

 

7. Reading assignment discussion

For this week, the committee read “Capturing and Processing Born-Digital Files in the STOP AIDS Project Records: A Case Study”. Sibyl Schaefer led the discussion.

Meg appreciated that the article when into depth discussing the actual problems involved in imaging certain born-digital files, and she felt that the authors spent a good amount of time on arrangement and description. Mary Ann was specifically interested in the workflow element of the article, and noted that screening for restrictions in paper sections of the same collection could influence future work in how we identify restricted materials in FTK. Patrick was surprised by the low capture rate of CDs. Sibyl pointed out the description at the end of the article, and was impressed that it did not include a container list, which would take a lot of the work and pressure of arranging thousands of digital files off the archivist. Hillel really like the minimal description proposed by the article, and believes that we can even use it in some of our finding aids. Overall, everyone felt that the reading was especially helpful in understanding the complexities of describing born-digital materials.

 

8. Moving forward – FTK Description

Mary Ann acknowledged that she had not put much thought into born-digital description recently, but that the above article was extremely helpful in identifying areas of interest.

 

There are no action items

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *