D-REC Committee meeting minutes for 12/05/2012
D-REC Committee Meeting Minutes
10:30 am-12:30 pm December 5, 2012
Committee Chair: Sibyl Schaefer
Note taker: Laura Montgomery
Mary Ann Quinn
1. Mission Statement Review
2. Updates on latest education activities (Meg, Suzie, Laura)
3. Discussion of FCD metadata and online preparation (Hillel)
4. Archive-It presentation (Laura)
5. Update on Commonwealth Fund Activities (Meg/Suzie/Sibyl)
6. Update on Ford PDF activities (Sibyl)
7. Review of D-Recs 6 month plan
8. Discussion of accessioning workflow (Sibyl)
9. Policy planning
1) Digital Records Committee Mission Statement:
To manage digital records across their archival life cycle, by integrating their management – and knowledge of digital records management and technologies in general – throughout the Rockefeller Archive Center.
• To designate specific individuals as responsible for functional areas concerning digital records, and to provide a forum for regular communication among these individuals
• To identify and develop the policies needed for the responsible care and management of digital records
• To develop workflows for digital records through the functional stages of accession, preservation, description, and access
• To educate and engage the RAC staff in the work surrounding digital materials
• To educate our donors and researchers on digital preservation issues and practices
• To develop an OAIS compliant system
• To prepare the RAC for TRAC certification and compliance
2) Updates on the latest education activities (Meg, anyone else?)
• Meg went to the Digital Forensics for Archivists workshop conducted by Cal Lee in Philadelphia.
• Suzie read the AIMS report and is interested in the area of remote transfers of digital accessions.
• Laura has signed up for a Digital Preservation class at Pratt Institute.
3) Discussion of FCD metadata and online preparation (Hillel)
• Hillel is working with Bob B. to fix finding aids so they represent what is in the collections.
• Metadata questions that need to be considered for online preparation-
o How to export metadata from the AT?
o What form is the metadata?
o What does the metadata include?
o How does the metadata link up with Archivematica and XTF?
o How will it be useable for the end user?
4) Archive-It presentation (Laura)
• Laura created a power point presentation to inform our donor institutions of the RAC’s new Web Archiving Program as well as FAQ handouts, Copyright agreements and contracts.
5) Update on Commonwealth Fund Activities (Meg/Suzie/Sibyl)
• A meeting was set up with Commonwealth Fund in November to discussed grants database pilot project.
• The database would be available in the Reading Room as a read only archival account.
• The Commonwealth Fund as of Jul 1, 2012 has gone paperless and going forward their archived grants database will be more comprehensive than the paper collections received.
ACTION ITEM: Commonwealth Fund will create a test version of the read only archival database for the RAC to perform usability and preservation testing. This project will be ongoing for the next 6 months-1 year
6) Update on Ford PDF activities (Sibyl)
• The Ford Foundation unpublished reports are a test digital accession case.
• The file naming issues have been worked out.
• Ford Foundation has had issues with using BagIt, but has successfully used BagIt.
ACTION ITEM: Laura will create BagIt instructions for donor institutions.
7) Review of D-Recs 6-month plans
• Ford PDF test accession (Meg, Suzie, Sibyl)
ACTION ITEM: Unpublished reports have been bagged and test accessioning workflow has been drafted.
• Commonwealth agreement set-up (Sibyl, Suzie)
ACTION ITEM: Meeting with Commonwealth Fund opened discussions on accessioning their grants database.
• Selection of pilot description project (Sibyl, Bob B., Mary Ann)
ACTION ITEM: Taconic Foundation has been selected and the pilot description project to begin March 2013.
• Development of online access to materials (1-2 years) (Hillel)
ACTION ITEM: XTF up and running with finding aids and library records. Digital objects to be incorporated into XTF build out out in next two years.
• Development of procedures and services for Archive-It web archiving (Laura, Sibyl)
ACTION ITEM: A power point for the RAC’s Web Archiving Program and drafts of copyright agreements, FAQ and contracts have been created.
• Start pilot description project (Mary Ann, Sibyl)
o This may include testing new tools, like Bit Curator or FTK Imager.
• Development of workflow for legacy accessioned digital records (Suzie, Laura)
o This may include a survey of the collections in order to identify all digital media.
• Online access pilot projects (RFOD, FCD) (Hillel)
• Reading room access to Commonwealth grants database (Lucas)
8) Discussion of accessioning workflow (Sibyl)
• A born digital accessioning workflow has been drafted and feedback would be appreciate. Please email Sibyl if you have any questions, concerns or revisions regarding this draft of the born digital accessioning workflow.
9) Policy planning
• The Collection Development Policy needs to be finalized and instituted before there can be movement on any additional D-Rec policies.