The first NE Archivematica Users Group was held last Friday to great success. There were roughly 20 attendees present, representing institutions like Yale, NYPL (the host of the meeting), Columbia, Harvard Business School, MOMA, and the Frick.
Below are some notes Laura took during the meeting. There is also a shared Google Doc, which was edited and compiled during the meeting by attendees.
Use cases- NYPL, RAC, Columbia and Yale
• Uses Archivematica to manage disk images
• Creates two types of material from 1 disk (disk image (df) and electronic records (er)- upacked materials
• Uses folder system to track progress like Yale
• Creates PREMIS statements prior to ingest. Goal is to incorporate this pre-transfer PREMIS statements/event with PREMIS that is created as a result of ingesting into Archivematica.
• Uses FTK in initial appraisal.
• Has the staff to appraise, preserve, describe digital collection as soon as it comes in the building
• Issue: legacy files often do not have extension which is problematic for current Archivematica release ingest
• Everything is accessioned and then it sits
• Everything is imaged to mitigate preservation risk
• Use Archivematica for limited retention (example library materials, items that may be deaccessioned etc.)
• Scalability of Archivematica an issue and stream line process for ingest of millions of items.
• Not using Archivematica yet still constructing contract with Artefactual
• Goal: Provide disk image in the reading room. Allow users to browse disk image.
• FCD digitized microfilm
• UUID in Archivematica repopulates back to the AT to link digital object
• UUID is in the Mets identifier in AT
• Bags funding for future release
• Email funding for future release
• Ford Foundation grantee files
• Issue scalability, password protected files and disk images capture foreign language file names incorretly
• Still testing Archviematica
Tentatively scheduled July at MoMA showcase
• MoMA pilot testing of video files ingested into Archivematica
• MoMA is using Archivematica for conservation.
• Video characterization metadata