DREC Committee Meeting Notes- January 24, 2014

DREC Committee Meeting Notes- January 24, 2014

Location: Conference Room

Attendance:

Committee members: Sibyl Schaefer, Laura Montgomery, Hillel Arnold, Patrick Galligan, Suzie Irving, Mary Ann Quinn

Observing RAC Staff member attendees: Carol Radovich, Bethany Antos

Agenda:

  1. Overview of MetaArchive
  2. Class and conference updates
  3. FTK description
  4. Redaction software report
  5. RFOD update
  6. Overview of Aeon
  7. Discussion of CRM solutions, process of identifying and selecting
  8. Ford electronic records proposal
  9. Review of BagIt install experiences
  10. Brown bag lunch series

 1.       Overview of MetaArchive (discussion led by Sibyl Schaefer)

MetaArchive was developed by Stanford University and uses LOCKSS to distribute content over seven geographically diverse servers to reduce the risk of error and loss from human and natural disasters. The Library of Congress, several universities and libraries run the cooperative. The RAC has joined as a preservation member which allows us to participate at a reduced cost and gives us a voice in the collaborative process.

A matrix will be developed to determine what we store in the MetaArchive. A sample workflow of the MetaArchive process would include the following steps-

  • Selection of materials to be stored in MetaArchive
  • Ingest selected objects into Archivematica
  • AIP created in Archivematica
  • Store AIP in MetaArchive

 

2.  Class and conference updates

 

3. FTK description (discussion led by Mary Ann Quinn)

Mary Ann is processing the Taconic Foundation records.  As she has been processing this hybrid collection using FTK, questions about digital materials are coming up such as

  • How will arrangement of digital records fit in with paper materials and the finding aid?
  • What level should you describe digital materials?
  • How would you export the information from FTK and sync it up with the information in Archivists’ Toolkit?

 

4. Redaction software report (discussion led by Lucas Buresch)

Redaction is the separation of disclosable from non-disclosable information by blocking out sections of sensitive content from a record. Sensitive information can include personal information such as social security numbers and medical information. In the digital word, if data is redacted it is still in the background even if it has been erased. The metadata isn’t erased with redaction. Redaction is a labor intensive process. An official policy on redaction would need to be implemented before looking into any software options. Lucas created a REDACTION Report.

 

5.  Rockefeller Foundation Officer Diaries update (discussion led by Patrick Galligan)

The digitized Rockefeller Foundation Officer Diaries are almost ready to be ingested into Archivematica and accessible as digital objects through DIMES. Currently, Patrick is correcting inconsistencies found in the digital files such as incorrect target dates, file naming issues and adding subject terms at the diarist level. The current timeline for the Rockefeller Foundation Officer Diaries to be available online is April 2014.

 

6. Overview of Aeon (discussion led by Hillel Arnold)

Aeon is software that will be implemented in the next fiscal year to assist in automating our reference processes. Aeon will be able to handle patron registration, workflow management of photocopying and duplication as well as payment and credit card information for work orders. The RAC needs to determine our reference automation requirements and if the software needs to be customized to those specifications. More information on Aeon implementation will be available during the March Brown Bag Lunch hosted by Hillel and Patrick.

 

7. Discussion of CRM solutions, process of identifying and selecting (discussion led by Hillel Arnold)

The Rockefeller Archive Center is looking into finding CRM (customer relations management) software to automate and replace the current way reference requests are handled. Whichever CRM software is selected needs to be incorporated into Aeon. The new CRM solution would not require forwarding reference request emails and would provide better tracking of researcher request emails. Some requirements of the software would include-

  • integration with existing Outlook email system
  •  automatically assign requests to archivists based on a set criteria
  • manage queues of reference requests
  • store and send boilerplate responses to requests
  • create issue or ticket automatically from email
  • edit subject line or title of issue
  • retain and search communication history
  • reporting

Selection of the new CRM solution will happen in the next few months. More information on CRM solution selection will be available during the March Brown Bag Lunch hosted by Hillel and Patrick.

 

8. Ford electronic records proposal (discussion led by Sibyl Schaefer)

Sibyl is working on a proposal for Ford Foundation’s electronic records which consist of the digitized versions of the unpublished reports, annual reports, index cards and the digital audio and transcripts of the oral histories. The proposal will detail specifications of transfer, the amount of data in RAC custody and how much to charge for time management, data manipulation and additional metadata.

 

9. BagIt experiences

BagIt is a program used to transfer and validate files from one system to another. The members of the D-REC Committee were asked to try to install BagIt on their computers, create a bag and validate the contents of the bag.  Overall, everyone had a good experience. Meg had a few issues with the tutorial because she uses Windows 7 on her terminal and the instructions were written for computers with Windows XP. Patrick noted that editing pathways in the command line may be the hardest thing for donors to get used to. For the next D-RECs meeting a command line fluency tutorial is assigned.

ACTION ITEM: Meg and Patrick will write instructions for donors that address the use of Windows 7 and editing pathways.

10.   Brown bag lunch series

ACTION ITEM: Patrick and Hillel will host a March Brown Bag Lunch talk of the upcoming change over to ArchivesSpace, Aeon and reference automation software.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *