In preparation for upcoming changes to the display of digital objects in DIMES, I’ve been pursuing some enhancements to data export from ArchivesSpace. This began with a plugin to improve METS exports, including embedded MODS records, but then grew into a more comprehensive project to automate the export of updated resource records, version that data, and then push it to DIMES.
Over the weekend, we finished up a year-long project to import description for almost every single grant record the Ford Foundation ever gave. This is the same project that I wrote a post about last October. To refresh your memory, we started with 54,644 grant files described in an Excel spreadsheet, and we wanted to transform much of that data into EAD, and then import it into ArchivesSpace. Normally this project wouldn’t require an entire year, but we realized over the course of the project that we did not have efficient ways to reconcile our structured data against Library of Congress vocabularies. The post in October laid out our methods for reconciling subjects against LoC data; this post will detail the methods we took to reconcile corporate names against the LCNAF. Continue reading
It’s been a busy couple of weeks for conferences! On Friday, Bonnie and I attended a Born-Digital Workflows CURATEcamp, held at the Brooklyn Historical Society. We gave a brief presentation on our workflows for arranging and descriping born-digital materials, and also learned a lot from other attendees. Continue reading
CUSTOMIZING THE APPLICATION – 22 hours in 4 months
While we were mostly happy with the base ArchivesSpace application, we did want to make a few changes to the display and functionality in order to make it more user-friendly. I started out by referencing the Customizing and Theming ArchivesSpace documentation as well as the developer screencasts. Continue reading
Migration Testing, Data Quality Checks, and Troubleshooting Errors – 295 hours in 8 months
After finishing the initial data cleanup, it was time to start testing our migration; the only way to identify major issues was to do a dry run. To set up for our initial testing, I took a MySQL dump of our AT database, loaded it up into an empty AT instance, and then installed the AT Migration Plugin. To install the AT Migration Plugin, just place the scriptAT.zip in your base AT plugins folder, either on a server or on your local machine.
Our first migration test did not go smoothly. Continue reading
About a year and a half ago, we decided that we were going to make the switch from our current Archival Management System, the no-longer-updated Archivists Toolkit, to its next iteration, ArchivesSpace. The RAC officially began preparing ourselves for ArchivesSpace in January of 2014. Continue reading
We prepared a series of screencasts for a recent donor meeting. These screencasts give a really nice, visual, overview of how we use three different systems: Archivematica, ArchivesSpace, and DIMES, and how they connect to each other.
The first screencast reviews our Archivematica ingest process, and covers how we link to metadata in the Archivists’ Toolkit. We’ll be implementing this functionality using the ArchivesSpace API in the near future.
As you should all know by now, we will be transitioning from ATReference to ArchivesSpace in a couple of months. It has been a lengthy project, but we’re quickly approaching its final stages. As such, I wanted to give everyone a quick rundown of the final timeline and the work that we are doing to get us there.
DREC Committee Meeting Notes – May 7, 2014
Location: Conference Room
Committee Members: Sibyl Schaefer, Hillel Arnold, Patrick Galligan, Suzie Irving, Mary Ann Quinn, Lucas Buresch, Meg Hogan
Observing RAC Staff member attendees: Carol Radovich, Kristin Spad
Since a number of people weren’t able to make today’s lunch presentation, I thought I’d post the slides so those who missed out could catch up. They are pretty bare-bones, so if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!